Nature’s Classroom by Ben

Nature’s Classroom Blog Post

Nature’s Classroom was very fun. One of my favorite parts was field group. Field group was when we would split up into assigned groups and hike, look for animals, rock climb and much much more. This period was usually between breakfast and lunch and was about a hour but on special days sometimes longer. Field group was definitely the highlight of the trip for me.

I had a bunch of friends in the group so I wasn’t lonely. The first day we got to know our field group and it’s leader. Our field group leader was Rustache (his real name was Russel…I think). He was very funny and nice. He’s the kinda guy you would see on one of those hardcore survival shows. He pretty much knows every little thing you could know about nature. Anyway, the first day all we did was go hiking. As we walked he would point out interesting things like multicolored moss and pine needles that turn your spit green.

The second day we had a little more time. Most of our group wanted to go to the farm but before we went to the farm we had to partake in a variety of different challenges that took mental and physical strength. We flew through the first challenge which was to swing across a rope onto a small platform. The second challenge was a little harder. We had to get through a giant spider web (Wire put together) but when ever someone touched the string we would all lose. To make things even harder the holes would close after someone would pass through. We finally realized if someone stuck a hand through the web we could all take turns going through without it closing. We went to the farm and we had lots of fun with the animals.

The third day was the most fun. We went to the beach. Not to swim but to climb rocks and look at nature. We saw a seal that was very cute. No one was allowed to go to close to it because it would get scared. After that we walked down the shoreline finding shells of various sizes. We also found a little crevice and hid in it. As we hiked our path was blocked off by a field of rocks ranging from 4 to 10ft. We started to climb. We got lots of cool pictures of us on top of HUGE rocks.

We were done climbing within 1-2 hours. We decided to go to a miniature zoo. It was only one building but it had lots of fascinating cool creatures in it. The complex even had a touch tank were you could touch various sea creatures. That was one of my favorite days field group wise.

The next day the last was not so exiting. All we did in field group was go to Roller Coaster island which was a island with a roller coaster. We had a great time at Nature’s Classroom and I was disappointed we had to leave early.