SLC Presentation by Erika

Recently, I made an SLC (Student Led Conference)  presentation, which is a presentation where I wrote about my strengths as a learner, challenges as a learner, goals, and much more. I presented this presentation to my parents with my advisor, Shirley Rinaldi, who was also present. This presentation took several hours of thought and preparation.

In order to prepare for this presentation, I followed several steps. First, in order to review my classwork for the year, I browsed through my first and second trimester reports, and highlighted anything that I thought was important to put into the presentation. As I was highlighting important information, it made me think critically of my strengths and challenges as a learner. Then, I took the highlighted ideas, and incorporated them into a chart our advisor gave us.

This chart was a visual way for me to organize my thoughts, reflections, and goals for my learning.  Finally, I used all of this preparation to develop a Google presentation for my audience.

In general, my preparation for developing my presentation made me feel very confident. Although I was a little anxious about talking about myself, my preparation guided me through it. In this way, I felt my ideas flowed evenly, so my audience could understand it. While I was pleased with how I presented, I think I could have used more examples of my classwork to show my progress and challenges. But I still think I demonstrated excellent knowledge of my learning skills.

In conclusion, I felt this was a very worthwhile experience. It taught me how to reflect on my learning needs and skills, and how to put them together in a way that made sense to me and others. It was also important to get practice talking myself in a public speaking format. And from the presentation itself, I thought of additional goals and ways to manage my anxiety for my next time.