Erika – Letter to Denis

Dear Denis,
I’m Erika, and I’m in sixth grade. I go to school at Poughkeepsie Day School, which is located in the town of Poughkeepsie in New York State. My class and I are studying the Middle Ages, which took place from 500 AD-1500 AD. So far in this unit, we have learned a lot about Medieval Europe, Islam and the Crusades, and finally, we’re learning more about Marco Polo and China. In order to learn more about China, my class and I watched the video about you and Francis traveling the routes of Marco Polo.

My class and I thought it was really worthwhile watching your video. It taught us a lot of interesting facts about Marco Polo. What we found really creepy, was when you and Francis were at gunpoint with several soldiers in Afghanistan. I would definitely not want to be in your position while that was going on. A part in the movie we found hilarious was when Francis broke the light switch in the bathroom. That made almost half of the class crack up into total laughter!

From what I’ve heard from my teacher Shirley, you are a very motivated speaker. We really hope you could come to our school to visit us, either this year or next year. It would really be a pleasure! Maybe you could tell us more of your experience on your journey? Anyway, hope my class and I can keep in touch!

Sincerely,
Erika
Shirley’s 6th Grade
Poughkeepsie Day School