Summer Storie – by Julian

This summer I went to Herkimer, NY to go to a camp. At the camp, we went mining for pieces of quartz called Herkimer diamonds. When you go mining you go to a place across the street and you go into a quarry to look for the diamonds. There were also other activities like going to the creek, playing nukem on the volleyball court, Arts and crafts, and swimming. Creek is my favorite because you can catch crawfish and build a dam.

When you go to the Herkimer diamond camp, you stay at a KOA campsite across the road. We got a campsite next to my friend Chris from a few years ago. Almost every night we ate S’mores and Chris and his family almost always came over for a S’more.

One night, Chris and I asked a couple kids from camp if they wanted to play manhunt. When we played we waited till it was dark and then we went out to the camp ground and started. It was boys VS girls; the boys were hiding so we got a three minute head start. It was really dark so we were tripping over roots and rocks. We found a hiding spot behind a pavillion and we stayed there for like 5 minutes and then they found us so we had to run away. We decided to run down to the creek to get away from them, Since it was like ½ mile to get to the creek we took a rest break because we thought they were gone, but then they all ran out from behind the cabin and almost got us but we ran away. When we got back to the pavilion the timer that we set rang and we won the game. After that we went back to my campsite to eat S’mores.

One thought on “Summer Storie – by Julian

1. I remember watching from afar — and it was a wild game and I was amazed how you and your friends could run so fast and cover so much camp ground. I was so happy to see you and your friends have so much fun. And Jeff and I liked the S’mores too. Can’t wait for next summer.