One For the Murphys – Hero Post – By Audrey

I think there are two heroes in One for The Murphys, and they are Julie Murphy and Carley. These two characters have done the most things that make me think they are heroes.

To me, a hero isn’t simply someone who does a good deed. The deed they do has to have a personal effect on me or someone I care about. In One For the Murphys, I think that a hero should have a good effect on one of the main characters. So although the dad in the story, Jack Murphy, is a fireman, I do not think he is a hero in this story because he does not have a heroic effect on a main character.

The first one is Julie Murphy because she helps people. Not just that, but Mrs. Murphy always cares about people even if they are mean to her. For instance, when Carley was rude in the beginning, she didn’t yell at her. She wants to know everyone’s story and she is one of the most understanding characters I know. For example, when Michael Eric got punched by the kid on the street, Mrs. Murphy comforted her son. Also, when Carley ran away, Julie went out to look for her and took her back in. Even just having the courage to host a foster child is heroic, because it is helping a needy child and she is doing what is right no matter what others say. In my opinion, doing what is right is always the most heroic action.

I think the other hero is Carley for many reasons. Sure, she can be rude and a joker, but there are some moments where she acts hero-like. Plus, she comes from a hard background, which means that she will still have some pain in her from before. This can cause some emotional aggression and sadness in people. But she was brave in that situation, and she got through it, which to me makes her a hero. Also, when Michael Eric got a seizure, she stepped up to help Julie with the Easter Baskets and putting the boys to sleep. She actually cares for Adam, Daniel and Michael Eric. Even though Daniel can be a brat, she doesn’t lose it with him.

In conclusion, out of all the characters in the book, I think that these two characters are the heroes because of their love for the other characters and their bravery.