Blogging Challenge Week #5 Activity #1

When my family has dinner, it is a little different than regular American food. On special occasions my mom makes Dominican food. We make empanadas,rice and gondolas and carne guisada (beef stew). I think that empanadas are my favorite. They are filled with beef and wrapped with a dough.It takes a lot of concentration to make these. Mostly because you have to season the meat and watch how long it cooks.Also the dough that we use is very fragile so you have to be careful when wrapping the beef in the dough.  

Then we have my grandmother. She is Italian and makes Italian food all the time. My favorite is her pasta with meat sauce. When I watch her cook it I get bored because it takes so long to make. But I know that’s it’s worth waiting because it’s so good! My Grandmother uses a secret recipe that has been pasted down from her mother.  But in the end I love both foods!

beef empanadas jules via Compfigh Fusilli Bolognese su-lin via Compfight

7 thoughts on “Blogging Challenge Week #5 Activity #1

1. Wow, Bella,
    You are lucky to have both a mum and grandma who cook from different countries. I always thought gondolas were boats in Italy. What are they in Dominican food?

2. Hello, I really enjoyed reading your blog post especially about the empanadas. I LOVE empanadas. What different types have you tried? I am hoping to learn to make them myself one day. I currently go to restaurants or a store if I want them. Keep up the good work. If you can please come visit my classes blog pages. Here is the main class blog page URL. blog.elanco.org/ageimanla
    You can scroll down on the sides and click on my students pages and make comments on their blogs.

3. Hi,
    I really liked reading your post.
    I love Italian food but none of my family is Italian. We go to Italian restaurants. I bet your mom and grandma are very good cooks!