Week # 7 All About horse breeds – By Olivia

There are many different breeds of horses and each type are used for different types of jobs. Today, I will be talking about a few of the breeds and the kinds of jobs they do. Draft horses usually pull heavy objects, such as buggies, carts, plows and other farm equipment. The draft horse is also known as a cold blood because of their calm temperament. The most common type of draft horse in the USA, is the Belgian. Another type of draft horse is a Shire. The shire is one of the strongest breeds of horse. They are mostly calm and relaxed. Overall they make a great horse for general riding and work.

Here is a picture of Belgian horses below.

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 11.28.51 AM

Picture from Pixabay

Another type of horse is a Thoroughbred. A Thoroughbred is a type of horse that is usually used for racing. They are known as a hot blooded breed. The Thoroughbred  is also known for their agility, speed and spirit. Although the Thoroughbred is bred for racing it also does jumping, dressage, fox hunting, etc. Thoroughbreds are much smaller than draft breeds and have finer bones. My mom owns a thoroughbred shire cross mare and her name is Maxine. The Thoroughbred developed in 17th- and 18th-century England, then became very popular.

Here’s a picture below of some thoroughbreds. If you would like to read more here is a link.

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 11.31.36 AM                                                                                                 Picture by Paul    from Flickr

Some breads are also distinguished by color.  For example, Palominos are always golden with a flaxen mane. Appaloosas come in five different colors and may or may not be speckled. The Paint breed has white splotches combined with another color. My own interest in horses has come from my experiences as a horseback rider. I ride Maxine whom I described above and also a Welsh pony, named Dundee, that I lease.

I hope you had fun learning about horses!

One thought on “Week # 7 All About horse breeds – By Olivia

1. G’day Olivia,
    Great post about horses. I always thought Clydesdales were great draft horses. I like the way you have interspersed personal information in your post.