Week#7 Falling into Waterfalls By Neha

Since I was about 6, I have loved looking at waterfalls and walking through the mist. It never occurred to me that I didn’t know  much about them. So now I think this is the perfect time to talk about them and do some research on waterfalls.

Ok, so  first let’s start to talk about their form. Waterfalls are commonly formed in the upper course of the river . The channel is soft, narrow, and deep. Whirlpools are created in the turbulence as well as sand and stones carried by the watercourse that  increase erosion capacity.

Last summer, when my family and I went to Turks and Caicos there was a waterfall and my dad and sister went in it but my mom and I didn’t. There were stones in the water and when my dad went in, he had to wear his flip flops because the stones were too  hard to step on. Maybe that waterfall had erosion. Anyway, a river sometimes flows over a large step in the rocks that may have been formed by a fault line. Waterfalls can occur along the edge of a glacial trough where a stream or river flowing into a glacier continues to flow into a valley when the glacier has melted. That was just a little bit about waterfalls and how they form.  Here is a picture that might help you understand: 

.Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 11.23.50 AM

This is a diagram of how a waterfall is formed. From Wikipedia 

There are many beautiful waterfalls around the world. I will list some famous ones. Yosemite Falls which is 739 meters ( 2,425 ft.) located in Yosemite National Park , United States.  I have been there a couple years ago and it is amazing, the park is beautiful. The Waihilau Falls,  is at 792 meters ( 2,598 ft.). Angel Falls in   Venezuela is  the world’s  tallest above-water waterfall at 979 meters  (3,212 ft).  

Salto Angel Arnoldo Lara Giménez via Compfight

Angel Falls , Venezuela.

There are many different types of waterfalls , here are some of them. A block/sheet  waterfall is when water descends from a relatively wide stream or river. A cascade waterfall is when water descends a series of rock steps. Slide waterfalls are when water glides down maintaining continuous contact. A frozen waterfall ( you probably guessed it ) has an element of ice or even snow! Anyway, these are just some facts about waterfalls. I hope this post was very helpful to you!

Here’s  the link to where I got all my information from wikipedia

One thought on “Week#7 Falling into Waterfalls By Neha

1. G’day Neha,
    A great post about waterfalls! You have lots of links but they all go to Wikipedia. Maybe you could find some that are from the actual national parks service or from the Venezuelan government for Angel Falls.