Holiday Post – By Isaac

Every year my family celebrates Hanukkah and Christmas. For Christmas, all of my family comes to my house in the morning to exchange gifts, and there’s never been a time where it wasn’t fun! My uncle always makes us amazing pancakes, but that’s kind of annoying because we have to wait for him to get here (he lives a long way away). I make a Christmas list every year, but my brother doesn’t and gets really amazing stuff. I tried that once, and I got nothing I really liked. My family hasn’t gotten their Christmas tree yet, and I’m getting a little worried!

Hanukkah my family just does by ourselves. I love using the dreidel, but my family doesn’t do the thing where you win chocolate coins. We used to do the thing where you gave people gifts on each day of Hanukkah, but now we just light the menorah and eat latkes.

My parents don’t encourage staying up very late, but this year they are letting me stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve. I have never seen the “ball dropping” in New York City, but I have always wanted to go. Maybe I will someday!

Glossary

Hanukkah – A Jewish holiday where people celebrate the oil that burned for eight days

Christmas – A Christian holiday where people write lists and “Santa” gives them presents under a tree

Dreidel – A four sided top that you spin and you win something

Menorah – A candle holder with 8 candle spots and a spot for the Shamash, which lights all the other candles

New Year’s Eve – The American new year falls on January first, and the day prior, people have all sorts of parties at midnight.

Ball Dropping – At midnight, a giant ball falls in a building in Times Square, New York City, signifying the switch to the new year.

Still don’t understand what Christmas is about? – Christmas Website

Still don’t understand what Hanukkah is about? – Hanukkah

One thought on “Holiday Post – By Isaac