Week #7 The Big Cat of the Icy Mountains – By Bode

I chose to research Snow Leopards because I think they are very beautiful and unique. My favorite part of their body is their skin. The Snow Leopard is my favorite animal. They are so nice but they need help. The color of the coat is grey or tan, depending on where the Snow Leopard lives. They always have dark spots. The Snow Leopard is a small Big cat. They weigh 60-120 pounds and can be 2.5-5 feet long. They use their soft tails as a blanket. They have very wide paws because they need them for walking on the snow.

14706995878_d40fdca592_cCloudtail via Compfight

Snow Leopards usually live in snowy habitats. They can be found in central and south Asia, in the countries of India, Nepal, and Tibet for example. They like to live high in the mountains, like the Himalayas. They change their home by season. In the summer the Snow Leopards like to be high in the mountains. Then in winter they get lower down the mountain, into the forest for protection and to find food. They are crepuscular, meaning they are most active in dusk and dawn. Snow Leopards hunt Horses, Camel, Ibex, Marmots and Deer. They can jump 50 FEET, usually while chasing prey. Then in night they sleep in their underground den with their family.

3421104439_a69f883f6e_n Muzaffar Bukhari via Compfight 

Unfortunately, the Snow Leopards are in trouble. They are an endangered species and there are less than 6,590 left in the world. In the past, the Snow Leopards were over hunted by people and poachers because they wanted the skins of the animals to decorate and collect. There are many groups trying to help the Snow Leopards, such as the Snow Leopard Trust

One thought on “Week #7 The Big Cat of the Icy Mountains – By Bode

1. Snow Leopards are a favorite of mine as well….so beautiful! I did not know that the Snow Leopard was chosen as the International Animal of 2015!