Blogging Challenge Week # 5 Nutella By Olive

DSC_1045 owyzzz via Compfight

Nutella is a delicious chocolate hazelnut spread that people love!   

Nutella was created back in 1806, when Napoleon tried to freeze out British commerce as a means to win the Napoleonic wars (and take over the world). The result was a disastrous and caused the cost of chocolate to skyrocket and left Piedmontese chocolatiers  in the lurch. Ever resourceful, chocolatiers in Turin started adding chopped hazelnuts to chocolate to stretch the supply as much as Possible . The ensuing deliciousness was a fateful paste dubbed “gianduia.”

Over a century later, chocolate again became expensive and scarce due to rationing in Europe during World War II. An Italian pastry maker named Pietro Ferrero once again turned to the mighty hazelnut for salvation in 1946 and created Pasta Gianduja, renamed “Nutella” in 1964.

One thought on “Blogging Challenge Week # 5 Nutella By Olive

1. Hi Olive! I really like that you tell the history of Nutella and explain it in a clear way. I love Nutella, so I find it interesting that it had a different name before. Overall, I think it was a great post and you gathered a lot of cool information! -Jane