The Peculiar Habits of Snails – By Cedar

Snail shell_Z7326 Barry via Compfight

The first thing that you need to know about me is that I love snails. They are so sweet and cute!  I used to have four pet garden snails but eventually I set them free. Now I have two new ones, Speedy and Fudge, and they are just as cute. This story is about the first snails I had.

It was a clear, cloudless, spring day. The sun was shining through the trees and into the house. Upstairs my mom was working on her computer, and my friend and I were downstairs sitting on the wood floor. We were setting up a tray for the snails with wet paper towels and salad greens just how they liked it. After washing our hands we went into my room and got the snail habitat. Like any other day we took off the lid and pulled out the little cuties.

“Aww” we would say as Big Guy, Root Beer, and Persephone emerged from their wee shells.

You may have noticed that I only mentioned three snails even though I had four. Why did I do that? Because Quartzy didn’t come out! She had a odd skim over the opening to her quartz green shell.

“Is she dead?” we asked each other. “She must be or she would open up” was our train of thought. Heartbroken my friend and I galloped up the stairs like a herd of wild buffaloes.

“Mom, Mom!” I yelled, “I think Quartzy is dead!” Mom was sad too but there was nothing to be done. Tearfully we wandered back to the snail tray.

As it is the nature of the human race we were still hopeful. Dutifully we poked at the odd skim over her shell. Then with a slip and a slide out came my beloved snail. Slowly, slowly she emerged and then with a pop there were the darling antennas I thought I would never see again. The god of snails must have come to our rescue!

Actually this event had nothing to do with the god of snails. In reality Quartzy was just hibernating like some snails do in the winter. We did some research and found out that we had simply woken her up from her winter slumber and that she hadn’t come back from the dead. Still we were very relieved when Quartzy emerged from her shell. Now I know not to jump to conclusions and if I don’t know something to research it first.